Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Endangered Species- The Giant Panda


As I was home, sick, bed-ridden, with a fever for the past 48 hours I got to thinking about the next animal that I would write about in my blog and I looked to my side and there it was... one of my favorite stuffed animals, my bear. His name is Benji. And although he is NOT a Giant Panda, he is a brother to the Pandas and I've always liked Panda's a whole lot more. Not to mention, they are endangered and I saw that as even more of an importance to write about them. Their life, their behavior, their nature.
The Panda Bear is depicted as this docile being, solemnly sitting there in the mountains of China, calmy eating their bamboo or the child-like innocence they seem to portray. Contrary to this type of perspective, the Panda has had their share of inhumane rampades, mostly due to annoyance or stress of captivity.
The Panda is not a very social bear, they tend to roam the mountains alone and don't stay in one place for long. The only socialization you will momentarily see among these bears is during mating season, and then after that, the female is left to fend for herself and her cub alone.
The Giant Panda has a vegetarian diet and feeds mostly on bamboo. There have been recent arguments about such diet because of the close relation the Giant Panda has with the Red Panda. The Red Panda has been known to feed on smaller animals and the link with Giant Panda's has sparked interest in the debate over the Giant Panda diet. But the Giant Panda remains in the Bear family and the Red Panda is still pending.
The Giant Panda is an endangered species, due to loss of habitat, captivity and very low birth rate. After the Chinese economic reform, demand for panda skins from Hong Kong and Japan led to illegal poaching for the black market, acts generally ignored by the local officials at the time. There are many conservation programs set up around the world for these bears and have progressed over the past years.






+ I have no idea what I will write about in the next post, so, just stay tuned in for a surprise. :-)

1 comment:

  1. i personally love pandas and that is some good information... you helped me alot with my homework over ecology... thank you :)

    ReplyDelete